Sunday, June 11, 2006

Product Review: L'Oreal Colour Juice Sticks

Finally! A proper review! I mean, I'm sure that reading about my various reality TV obsessions is terribly interesting and everything. But I can hear you all thinking in the backs of your minds: "Talk about some damn lipstick already!"

Ok, fine, I will. Except it's not exactly lipstick... this time, it's all about these new Colour Juice Sticks from L'Oreal. Although I don't see it on their website, I'm pretty sure the in-store display advertised these as "lipgloss in a stick!", which basically means that I HAD to buy one. Or three.

These lipsticks are supposed to give sheer, light, buildable colour that is "never opaque, never fake". I think they're supposed to be sort of the drug-store version of the Clinique Butter Shines, although at $10 a pop, they're not exactly super cheap. However, the sleek, slender tube with the mirror-like finish does look quite high-end.




The Colour Juice Sticks felt very smooth upon application, and they smell fruity and sweet, like Trident Triple-Berry gum. They give a nice glossy finish, although those looking for serious patent-leather shine will be disappointed. This lipcolour was more moisturizing than most -- I could get by without putting on lipbalm underneath, which is a plus for those harried mornings when I'm flinging the contents of my make-up bag across the bathroom in an attempt to get out the door in time*. However, they don't quite beat Maybelline's Moisture Extreme lipsticks in moisturizing power. Moisture Extreme feels even creamier going on, and the buttery feel seems to last a bit longer than the Colour Juice Sticks. Sadly, I find a lot of the Moisture Extreme shades a bit too dense and flat for my liking (except for Red Dawn, which is an awesome shade, but is a titch too warm for everyday use for me). And so this totally justifies my buying yet another similar-yet-pricier lipstick. Right?

I first picked up Strawberry Fields (pictured), a light, sheer-looking mauvey-pink that is infused with a silver shimmer. This is a great grab-and-go shade... with sunny, bronzed summer makeup, this gives a pretty, natural lip look. With paler skin, candy pink blush and light, shimmering eyes, this shade takes on an ethereal, almost baby-doll vibe, all without going into tacky bubble-gum territory. Groovy!

So of course I had to go grab 2 more shades to try! Berry Spritzer is a rich plum/berry colour that looks really glittery in the tube. On the lips, it is actually quite natural looking, although you can see the micro-glitter if you look closely. So yeah, this might not be the best choice for work if you are employed by a Very Conservative Company, but I can totally see this shade with a tropical-coloured sundress, drinking sangria on a balmy patio at dusk**.

Cherry Freeze is KAPOW RED! in the tube, but again is more subdued than you might think on the lips (no glitter this time). This very cool red has half a foot in the fuschia category, but its sheerness makes it pretty easy to pull off. It's certainly not a quiet colour, but it would look elegant with a white shirt, pulled back hair, and minimal makeup on the face. I am definitely hanging on to this one for fall, because red lips are forcasted as a hot fall trend for 2006***, and a sheer glossy finish is my favourite way to wear a red lip. For some reason, Cherry Freeze goes on a bit unevenly if my lips are not smooth, which isn't a problem with the other 2 shades I've tried. It may be just because it's a more noticeable colour. Regardless, it's probably best to swipe on a bit of lip balm before applying this shade.

With the darker shades, even after the sheen has worn off, a hint of colour still remains, leaving the lips with an attractive stain. In terms of lasting power, these seem to be hybrids in the truest sense --they stay on better than a gloss, but you'll still have to reapply more often than with a lipstick. Because the product feels so light and the colours are so buildable, it's very easy to blend 2 shades together, if that's your thing. Their sheerness make them very wearable -- testers should be available for all colours, so do try out the shades even if they look scary in the tube.

$10 is still pretty spendy for a drugstore lipstick, and the colour selection is not the widest right now, but L'Oreal Colour Juice Sticks do live up to their claims. I got all 3 of mine for about $7 each (sale, plus $1 off coupon which I found next to the display). So if you love the feel of Maybelline Moisture Extreme lipsticks, but find their shades less than thrilling, give these Sticks a shot!



* Roommate might attest that this is apx. 87% of my mornings. This is not quite true... most mornings are actually quite relaxed. I'm just the type to drop things ALL THE TIME, which makes it sound like I am super frantic, when I am in fact just super klutz.

** You know you need to get out more when you anthropomorphize your cosmetics and they lead a more exciting life than you do.

*** Ok, so I made that up. But you KNOW it's gonna happen. When was the last time it didn't happen? And how do beauty editors get off saying that a "classic" red lip is a "hot trend" for a season? Aren't the 2 sort of mutually exclusive???

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 10:56 a.m., Blogger Cowgirl Warrior said...

My only question, why didn't you post this review before the Shoppers thing, that's the one thing I didn't pick up in my attempt to figure out what I needed and have that total $100. It's was difficult, I had to toss in unexciting things like Sonicare refills and kleenex, I did get some makeup put the pickings were slim. Perhaps I was just uninspired.

 
At 10:18 a.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Ahh! I totally didn't think to do that! These would have been much more fun than Kleenex. Sorry! :-(

I ended up buying the perfume and a massager, so I'm afriad that I had no problem filling up the $100. And then some. (Acutally, I'm not afraid, but my bank account should be!)

 
At 2:24 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been looking for reviews on the color juice stick everywhere and finally found your blog. I purchaced watermelon ice less then a year ago. A cute and fun shade. I was impressed by the sheerness and staying power, for a gloss. Latley though, i have been looking everywhere to find the perfect red shade. I thought I would get a sheer red tint from Island punch, but it turned out to be pretty much the same color as my lips, with annoying orange sparkles in it :S >:(
I should have got cherry freeze DAMMIT

 
At 3:50 p.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Hi Val! Oooh, Watermelon Ice sounds yum, I think I'd be tempted to buy that just for the name alone! I didn't really consider Island Punch as I'm not great w/ corals, but now I'm glad I gave it a pass!

I still quite like Cherry Freeze, though I've taken to toning it down a bit with a plum colour (wrote about it here). If you didn't already know, Maybelline has a bunch of new reds in the Moisture Extreme line. Rare Ruby and Midnight Red, and some such? Might be something to check out in the Great Quest For the Red Lip!

 
At 5:37 a.m., Blogger valliestarr said...

it's me again :D I'm so glad you responded.
I saw the new Maybelline colours in the Moisture extreme line, but I'm not too interested in a lipstick with such heavy coverage. I decided I want a sheer lipcolour in red, so that it looks almost like a stain or like it blends in with my natural lipcolour. Then I rememberd a lipstick/gloss thing I saw a few months ago...Revlon superlustous Shiny sheers. I remember seeing the new stand thing they were in..and all the little testers I stuck my fingers in. I wasn't too into lipcolours at the time but I was like "Oh that's pretty" I went to the store and saw them again, except they wernt in the tester stand... I didn't think it would be a problem since I was just looking for a red red colour. Not damned pink red or coral red with annoying sparkles. Just red red. I chose Cherry pop. The name reminded me just of the one I have always admired from afar...Cherry Freeze. I figured this had to be good... It's just like the loreal colour juice sticks...except it's 5$ cheaper and it just looks so promising.
I ran to the car and applied......more damn freaking sparkles.
I mean I knew it was going to be shiny...but this just looks terrible on my lips. It also seemed to melt right off and look all uneven.
I thought surely for such a sophisticated tube that it would look nice.
I will try one last time. have you tried revlons just bitten lipstains? they look red and sheer to me...they are out of stock in my local drug store though :( le sad.
I have a request. Could you possibly find someone who is light or medium skinned to take a picture of their lips with cherry freeze on them.? :D My drugstore has no testers for them anymore and it would be extremley helpful to see what the colour actually looked like once applied to lips....Thank you! :)

 
At 3:04 p.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Val, that's a brilliant idea! It'll take some time, but look out for a red-lip photo-essay kind of post after the Comments for a Cure event. And please come back leave a comment on June 4th to 6th to raise funds for cancer research!

I just checked out the Revlon SL shiny sheers, and agree that the Cherry Pop shade looks very sparkly. You can see the sparkles even in the tube, and they look gritty. The shade is too warm/orangey for my tastes, so I didn't bother trying it on my lips. Ruby Brilliance in that line though is beeeeautiful! (Or maybe I'm just enamoured because I bought it literally 35 minutes ago) Look for pictures of it in the photo post!

I saw the Revlon Just Bitten lip stains too, but there was no tester, and the price is high enough that I wouldn't purchase it w/o trying it first. I used to like the Body Shop's Lip & Cheek Stain, although I haven't tried the new incarnation of it and there's now just the one shade. It's a couple bucks more than the Revlon, but at least from TBS, you can try it first, or return it if you don't like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home