Thursday, June 01, 2006

Happy June! (aka: Link-a-palooza!)

Hi everyone! Welcome to June! This month was always filled with excitement for me as a kid -- school was coming to an end, vacations to exotic and awesome places were just weeks away (what up Red Deer!), and you had an entire 3 months of ice-cream lunches and re-runs of Whose Line is it Anyway? to look forward to.

But now... now June is filled with the growing anxiety that only looming thesis deadlines can create. But let's not think about that!! Let's blog some more and update some links and talk about other great blogs and other fun stuff and what's so wrong with a little denial anyway!

First, hello to Produkt Junkie and Just Me & My Shoes! 2 fabulous ladies (from muh' hometown Calgary!) who share my obsession with all things girly. Nice to know I'm not the only compulsive sephora.com browser!

On the DC connection, we've got Capitol Hill Barbie and Velvet in Dupont. The former is a fellow beauty blogger spreading the word from the White House* to the world, who is possibly even funnier than the original Capitol Hill Barbie (Oscar win and all). Plus, I think she's a science geek, which is extra props in my book. The latter has nothing to do with cosmetics, but chronicles the life of a single girl living the gaybourhood of her nation's capital. Her incredible writing and zany hijinks are a worthy read indeed.

The Impulse Impulsive Buy is a review blog for... well, for everything. [EDIT: Gawd, how embarassing. Impulsive. NOT Impulse. Sorry.] No, seriously. From iPods to cereal bars, everything is fair game. The author Marvo is a riot and a half -- any straight man who is willing to test self tanner on his legs for the benefit of his readers is a-ok by me.

Last but not least, I am absolutely thrilled to introduce:



Meg's Makeup, a smart, sassy, and HONEST product review site. You know how sometimes you surf sites like epinions or makeupalley, and the posts are always a mixed bag? Like, you'll get the person who writes:
OMG!!! Best ishadow 4evr!!! its awesum i luv it sooooo mutch all my freinds say it look good, lol i luuuuuvvv this u need it!!!
Yikes. I know these reviewers mean well, and spelling and punctuation are by no means prerequisites for having a valid opinion. But my head spins and my retinas try to crawl out of my eyes when I have to read page upon page of that stuff, and isn't that just a lovely visual?

Well sit back down and pour yourselves a drink, retinas! On Meg's Makeup, you'll only see fully literate reviews! Even better, it combines the 'statistical power'** of having lots of reviewers, with helpful and informative reviewer profiles. Because even the most well written review can't help you if the reviewer is 16 with oily skin and you're a 43 year old who wants to combat dryness. On Meg's site, you get a handy synopsis of the reviewer's traits under each review, with the option of finding out more about a particular reviewer. You can even see what their favourite drink is! Because as we all know, friends that drink together, stay together. (At least until they sober up.)

The lovely founder Meg has graciously invited me to join the ranks of her reviewers, and I'm both honoured and excited to be a part of this great project. I'll be posting the reviews both on this blog and over at her site. Stay tuned in the next couple of days for those reviews, and in the mean time, go on over there and check it out!!



* Well... probably not actually the White House, but who knows??
** Oh God, I'm talking about statistical power in relation to makeup reviews. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY, MR. STATS PROF GUY.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 1:55 p.m., Blogger Cowgirl Warrior said...

OMG pressure to actually post a review, right now just ramblings about Canada's Next Top Model can be found on Produkt Junkie. I'm inspired it will happen tonight.

 
At 8:15 p.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

The ramblings are very important! People underestimate a good ramble. :)

 
At 12:14 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya! Just checked out the Impulse Buy site. Vair vair funny. Now I can read more things at work - um I mean when I'm at home not doing homework or studying - um I mean... Thanks for the link!

~:>

 
At 10:14 a.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

No problem, Chicken! That Marvo is one funny dude, plus he makes me want to buy snack foods. Go Marvo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home