Sunday, June 18, 2006

Product Review: Jane Blushing Cheeks Cheek Shapers

Hello world! Guess what? My poster submission for this spiffy conference got accepted, which means I'll be heading over to beautiful Montreal in the fall! (That rhymes!) It's my first poster ever at a real live conference, so this is super exciting. Plus, it's in Montreal, which is a city that I really really want to visit (I haven't been since I was 12). I have such a rosy glow of happiness about me! Or might that be my new blush from Jane Cosmetics?*

First, a bit of background. I am devoted to my old Body Shop Colorings blush in Delicate Pink, but they discontinued it when they switched over their makeup line. Their new blushes are fine and all, but none of the colours are as perfect as Delicate Pink is. It's just the right shade for me -- natural looking, brightening, and goes with pretty much everything. I'm now scraping the bottom of the blush pan... soon it will be all gone. But it's no big deal, because: a) it's just blush, and b) EVERYONE seems to make a decent blush. Everyone except Cover Girl, that is. I tried their Cheekers Blush in Snow Plum, which is a happy looking shimmery peachy pink in the pan, but is invisible on my face. Even after I get it to show up, it disappears in an hour. And it smells like Grandma. Bad buy!!!

But I digress. Rarely do I come across a powder blush that I dislike. Everything from my Mom's old Mary Kay, to cheapie stuff like Rimmel, to Nicole Miller and Dior... even that gaudy-looking BRIGHT rose stuff that I had to wear for the stage... they're all fine. The colours are all pretty in their own ways, textures are not chalky, and staying power is good. So what's special about Jane's blush?




Well, it's cheap, for one. The compact ran me about $5 or $6 CAD, which is on the low end even for a drug store product (you can get the single colours in bigger pans for the same price). The texture is great... very silky and smooth. It's a "soft" powder, if you know what I mean. (If you've ever tried Neutrogena's blush mosaic thingy, you might have an idea of what I'm getting at... I found that powder to be "hard", like you had to work a bit to pick up the product.) And hoo boy is this stuff pigmented! You don't have to be paranoid about it, but you should definitely use a light hand to start, and build up as necessary.

I bought the Orchid/Blossom duo, and both colours are very pretty (the pic doesn't really do them justice). Blossom is a subdued rose that is on the cool side. To be honest, it looks a bit boring in the pan, but on the skin, it's lovely and natural. Orchid is the party animal of the two. It's candy pink and shimmery, but sheer enough to act as a highlighter as well as a blush.

Each colour is nice enough on its own, but together, they are dynamo. I guess the idea is to use the darker shade as blush/contour and the lighter shade as a highlight, but who really has time for all that? I just swirl my brush around the whole thing, then swirl it some more on the lid of the compact to blend the shades together and get rid of the excess, then sweep on to my cheeks. Voila, fresh looking, vibrant cheeks. It's so easy to customize too -- if you're feeling particularly sparkly that day, just brush on a bit more of Orchid. If you want more colour, add some Blossom. Neato. It's not quite Delicate Pink, but it's the closest thing I've found.

I also really like the case. Unlike their regular blushes, which come in screw-top circular containers, this compact flips open and snaps shut. The clear plastic is thick and sturdy, and it looks... I dunno, classy or something. As classy as plastic gets, anyway. I had originally purchased this as something to leave in the office, in case I accidentally spent the night there again, or if I had a last-minute invite to some fantastic event at which I could be fantastic and have fantastic amounts of fun. As it turns out, I've been using it daily since I've bought it! The duos also come in Glow/Earth, which is a warmer, peachier combo. At this price, I'd recommend considering these the next time you're in the market for a new blush!


* Okay, it's mostly the conference thing, since I am so uber geek. But the blush still helps!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 8:45 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there any product you can think of that you can rescue a shattered eyeshadow compact with? I tragically and clumsily dropped my FAVORITE most beautiful ever made green irridescent eye shadow (I'm a redhead, it's just to die for), thank heavens it was closed! but the powder went everywhere inside the case. I asked at Sephora's once, they'd never heard of anything. I was thinking of something like a cream base that you can add the powder to and make a cream shadow out of your powder one. Any ideas? Direct me in my research? Thanks a bunch.

 
At 11:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

Oh boo-urns, I hate when that happens. I haven't heard of anything specifically designed for that, but when our shimmer shadows broke at work, we used to do this:

1. Brush as much of it as possible back into the pan.

2. Spray a folded up square of tissue with a 50% rubbing alcohol, 50% distilled water mixture. Then, use the dampened tissue to press down on the powder gently but firmly to squish it in. (You can also use a clean finger if you don't mind the mess)

3. Spray the whole compact with more of the same mixture, and press down with the tissue again.

4. Repeat the process until it looks solid.

Basically, you're using the water/alcohol to make the powder stick to itself while smushing it back into the compact. The alcohol helps the liquid evaporate quickly, and I've never found it to be irritating when I use the shadow after. It's not the perfect solution -- the powder never quite stands up to travel as well as before, and you may find that little bits sometimes crumble off when you open/close the compact. But it's better than wasting a lovely green shadow!

I hope that helps, and that you're able to salvage it. If readers have any other suggestions, plese do post them. I'd be grateful too, as I am mega-klutz and drop things all the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home