Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Product Review: Cinema Secrets Ultimate Foundation / Concealer

More concealer-mania! I briefly mentioned Cinema Secrets' Concealer here, but a product this fab deserves a proper review.




Based in Burbank, California, the Cinema Secrets line of cosmetics is geared towards make-up artists and people in theatre (or on TV), but that doesn't mean it has to be kept a secret from you! Their Ultimate Foundation does double duty: apply it full-strength as a concealer, or sheer it out with a damp foundation brush or sponge to get a flawless but natural-looking coverage.

This creme foundation glides on effortlessly, and doesn't feel heavy or greasy like other creme bases can. It gives nice, glowy finish as a foundation, but it's not as terrific at controlling oil as I'd like, so I prefer to use it as a concealer. However, those with slightly drier skins might actually find it a perfect base for them. It blends seamlessly, concealing dark circles, spots, and redness. Powder has never once caked over this, and I can even touch up over the powder with good results.

And let's not forget the most important part of a concealer for me: the coverage is AMAZING... probably the best I've tried. This stuff can apparently cover up tattoos, and they have pictures on their site to prove it. I like to apply it with my pinky for under-eye circles -- I find this gives the most opaque, smoothest coverage. For more precise work (e.g., blemishes, or that little annoying area by the nose where the cheekbone ends and the dark circles start), I'll use a tapered concealer brush.

If you have super oily skin, or have a LOT of problems with creasing, you might want to look elsewhere. But I think this will work extremely well for most folks out there. Especially for those of you that have trouble finding a good colour match... there are over 40 shades, including a line of colour-correctors! Crazy. Their website does a great job showing & describing all the colours, but it's always best to try them out in person if you can. They don't accept returns, but just email them, and their staff can help find your perfect shade.

The foundation comes in 2 sizes (0.25oz and 0.5oz), and the smaller one cost me $22CAD. I've used it for a month and have just started to put a dent in it. Cinema Secrets makeup can be purchased direct from their website, and you may also be able to find it locally at beauty-school or theatre make-up suppliers. They have a list of distributors, but it's certainly not exhaustive. In Toronto, you can find it at Hiscott's and Industry Cosmetics (both around College & Yonge). Do a little digging around; something this good is definitely worth a bit of legwork!

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 9:09 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was in make-up school, we used all Cinema Secrets products. Good review.

 
At 1:55 p.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Thanks Toya! I've heard their Moisture Spray and powders are quite nice too.

 
At 7:45 p.m., Blogger FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

Oo sucky. I have oily but dry skin :( this won't work...

 
At 5:14 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I`ve been using the cinema foundation for years...I LOVE IT!! actually I love it so much that I traveled for an hour and a half each way to buy it, before I found out that I could order it:)

 
At 7:37 p.m., Blogger baobaolove said...

Can any body tell me where is the store location of Industry Cosmetics? thz a lot, and Brain Spam said we can find cinema secret in Hiscott's, but when i go to it's website, it doesn't selling cinema secret?

 
At 7:55 p.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Yikes, so Industry Cosmetics used to be on Yonge street, but it looks like they are temporarily closed until further notice: http://www.industrycosmetics.com/. I've never been to Hiscotts, but it's worth giving them a call to see if they carry the line; sometimes websites don't list all the available merchandise. Good luck!

 
At 8:06 p.m., Blogger baobaolove said...

Thx Glitterati a lot^^~ I really want the cinema secret concealer....but i don't know where can I find in Toronto....I know I can order from US, but i suck for order from website>< Anyway, thanks alot.........

 
At 1:10 a.m., Anonymous Katie Wu said...

i've been using the same concealer myself and i do agree that the coverage is amazing but i started breaking out a few weeks after using it consistently! I was just wondering if this happened to other folks out there coz if not then maybe some other product of mine is doing that! :p

 
At 7:22 p.m., Anonymous ana g said...

The cinema secret product is absolutley amazing when used properly. I have combo skin and my sister has oily skin... and I mean OILY SKIN! I use the product either alone or with their Ultimate foundation primer. that stuff leaves my face beyond smooth, then I apply the foundation with a sponge. But I spray my spnge with their Moisture spray. that allows the product to go on even smoother and more even. My sister on the other hand, MUST apply the primer before hand, but she also follows the same steps I do. And set it with their ultrluscent powder. And depending on what look I want ie, matte or dewy, I can spray the moisture spray after i'm done with my make up to make it look dewy, if not I will leave it matte. Another thing that Cinema Secrets has that is ABSOLUTLEY WONDERFUL is their SUPER SEALER!! LOVE IT!! I'm a make up artist,and I use that product when I have a client such as a bride that needs that longevity from her makeup. I mist that on the face once I'm done and it helps keep all day. it prevents moister from ruining the make up!! My opinion, I LOVE IT and would never go back to any other base makeup!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home