Wednesday, December 06, 2006

My Sephora List



Okay, so I recently had a dear friend ask me for my list of Sephora must-haves. This prompted a lot of thought... there's just so much stuff in that store! And I personally think that the best part about Sephora is that you can try any and everything, and their sales staff aren't pushy or desperate. Plus, their awesome return policy means that it's virtually risk free for you to try a product.

But, philosophizing does not a useful list make. And so without further ado... My Sephora List! (with links to reviews if I have 'em)






Hair
Try:
Oscar Blandi Jasmine Oil Serum -- this thin shine serum makes my hair straighter than anything, and smells expensive. Which it is. But defiinitely try it, even if it's just to see what all the hype is about.






Buy:
Frederic Fekkai Glossing Cream (travel size) -- the olive oil in the formula smooths hair, and the almost-imperceptible gold flecks in the cream give the best shine I've seen yet. Plus, it smells like Kenneth Cole Black, except not so manly. The trial size is only $11 CAD, and is perfect for travelling or tossing in your handbag. It is salvation for the in-flight frizzies!





Face
Try:
Any of those fancy foundations you've read about. Dior? Channel? ERA? Bare Escentuals? Pick one and go!


Buy:
Smashbox PhotoFinish Primer (travel size) -- either in the original clear version, or one of the colour-correcting ones, this cult-favourite can't be missed. The litte tube will last you about 2-3 months with daily use.






Sephora Professionnel Perfection Makeup Base -- Not slick like the Smashbox, but has little pearlized particles that give you a subtle (not shiny) glow. Foundation goes on smoothly, and skin feels very soft after using this. Fantastic for giving a boost to dull winter skin.







Concealer
Try:
Make Up Forever Lift and Full Cover concealers (liquids) -- Lift is the sheerer of the two, and supposedly tightens the undereye area. Coverage is pretty darn good... I've seen better, but only from creme concealers. $26 CAD for a big 0.5 oz tube that lets you dispense the perfect amount. Full Cover is a bit outrageous in price, but I've heard amazing things about its coverage and texture (non-caking!). Haven't tried it myself, but it's most definitely on the list!


Benefit Bo-ing and Time Balm's The Balm concealers -- If you prefer a solid concealer, definitely check these out. Bo-ing is another cult favourite, although the price point is a tiny bit too high for me to have tried it yet (it's only a matter of time though...).





If I wasn't already swimming in concealers, I would have certainly picked up The Balm by now. I've heard from others that it can be a bit dry, but it felt smooth enough on my wrist, and the coverage looks very impressive. $22 is not that much to pay for a great concealer.






Lips
Try:
Um.... EVERYTHING!

Buy:
I'm currently infatuated with the Bourjois line. It's decently priced, and the glosses are of great quality. The new Dr. Glamour lipsticks feel sooo smooth & moisturizing, but alas, I could not find a shade that I loved. Maybe you'll have better luck!





Smith's Rosebud Salve -- Ok, I know everyone and their dog already knows about this, but the Strawberry version is my go-to bedside balm. (Warm it up a bit with your finger first for smoother application) They've recently released a mint version, which feels more fluid and looks like it would give a glossier look.




Don't forget Sephora's own line of glosses. I have their quad palette in Shades of Mauve, and they're great basic glosses. Colours are sheer and pretty, texture is nice and non-drying, and there's a gentle vanilla scent to seal the deal. I got mine on sale, so I can't remember the price exactly, but it was cheap! (Pass on their Super Shield lip balm though... it's basically Vaseline with SPF. Which is fine, but you don't need to be paying their price for that.)




Palettes
Try:
Too Faced Quickie Chronicles (The Fabulous Flirt pictured) -- these sets, uniquely packaged to look like old-school dime-store novels, come with 3 shadows, 4 lip colours, and a blush. Every season, they release limited edition palettes capturing the best of the season's trends. Mini versions of these (2 shadows, 2 lip, 1 blush) are also offered for some of the collections. If you find one where you like all or most of the shades, they can be an economical way to try out new and hot colours.


Buy:
I am kind of going palette crazy over here. I can't stop looking at them. Pop Beauty's Poppette palettes caught my eye with their pretty, sleek, metal cases. I also considered Lola's Go Lightly (cool & gadgety), Hard Candy's Take Out Make Up Kit (beyond adorable, and has everything down to TWO concealers).



But in the end, I decided to go with Sephora Piiink's My Disco Chiiic Palette. Despite their insistent use of too many i's in their product names (which makes it sound so ridiiiiculous in my head) and the fact that the line is sort of targeted at 14-year old girls, this palette is just about perfect. 10 powder shadows, 2 cream shadows, 2 blushes, 1 bronzer, 1 highlighter, 7 lip products, and a mascara, all for a cool $35 CAD! The shades are all cool enough for my tastes, and there's enough variety in there to create everything from work-appropriate looks to evening party makeup. The My Preciiious Palette is equally lovely (conjured-up images of Gollum notwithstanding), with shades on the warmer side of the spectrum.





Fragrance

Try:
Again, take advantage here and try them all! But be sure to give all the Demeter perfumes a sniff -- they are just plain fun. My personal favourites include Laundromat, Green Tea, and Pink Grapefruit. And if you happen to fall in love with one, they're only $25 CAD for a full sized bottle. Not sure how other Sephoras work, but all the stores in Toronto have the Demeters split up in the Men's and Women's sections. I think a lot of the "Men's" scents are the more interesting ones, like Leather, or Mesquite, or Rubber. Weird, but great to experience.




Buy:
Stella McCartney Stella Eau de Parfum Roll On -- this sophisticated rose scent is warm and classic without being musty, and I think it's perfect for work or play. It's feminine, without being wimpy or overly sweet. The roll-on version is portable, looks sleek, and will only set you back $12 CAD. I keep wanting to buy it, but the stores can't seem to keep it in stock!





If you prefer a sharper, greener floral scent, sniff out Stila's Jade Blossom (available in a roll-on or solid scent). And for those that crave variety, how freakin' cute are these Stacked Style Bon-Bons? 3 fruity scents (2 mini-vials each) packaged like candies in a tin. Adorable. (FYI, Blogdorf Goodman recently posted a handy breakdown of some other offerings from Stacked Style.)







Oh wow. I... I use a lot of stuff, don't I? I mean, I don't use it all at once, obviously, but still. But the products ARE very good, and if you're going to spend the cash, you might as well get the good stuff, right? Anyway, these are my must-haves and must-trys when visiting a Sephora... what are yours?

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 9:27 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say - I was kind of disappointed in Boi-ing. Because it's such a cult favorite, I expected to love it and I didn't. Not for that price. I've found cheaper concealers that work better.

 
At 9:46 a.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Hey Toya! Yeah, I keep seeing Bo-ing on "Best" lists, so I'm curious to try it... but like you said, it's too pricey for it NOT to be fabulous, and I'm still enamoured with my Cinema Secrets right now, which is MUCH cheaper. I still want to try Bo-ing though, just to say that I have! :)

 
At 12:14 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

i read toya's review of boi-ing, another one bites the dust! i love benefit and want to be in love with all of it's products... similarly i was disappointed with bad gal lash. i started my sephora wish list last nite after i finally returned my bad gal lash. look out for the post coming soon!

 
At 10:40 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for calling me dear :)
Your list is printed and put together right along with flight info.

Thanks again!

 
At 3:12 p.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Yummy411: I have heard not-raving things about Bad Gal too... Looking forward to your list! Did you try the DiorShow w/ LashExact brush thing yet?

CW: Of course, what else would you be? :) Glad I could help, have an amazing trip!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home