Sunday, November 12, 2006

Minor Hair Freakout & Review: Conair High Heat Ceramic Straightener

So, if you've been reading along, you will know that I am just a little bit obsessive about my hair. This being the case, I made well and sure to buy a voltage converter for my upcoming trip (OMG, just 50 hours to go! I so need to pack!!!!!) to the UK, because like HELL I'm going to have hair that is frizzy in addition to lopsided while I'm over there.




You see, I am very devoted to my straightener. Sure it only cost around $40 CAD at the drugstore, and it's true that "Conair" is a far cry from "Chi". But dammit, this thing WORKS! My hair is generally straight to begin with, but the ends are oddly wavy and wiry. Despite my hair being thick, hard, and plentiful, this modest little straightener glides through my strands, and leaves my locks silky, sleek, and shiny. I used it for the first time last December and I haven't looked back since.

A big worry with cheap hair straigteners is that they don't get hot enough. Not so with the Conair. It's got a little turn-dial that lets you select between 25 heat settings, and I've never had to go above 20 or 21 to get my desired results. In fact, I've moved it down to 17 and it still works well. The plates grab tightly, and mine came with an awesome comb attachment (not pictured) that prevents the iron from tugging on hair, which could lead to greater damage. The slim design is easy to use, and I find it less tiring than the "scissor" type of handle. I've had this for a year now, and it's still going strong.

Much love for this straightener. I take it with me everywhere.

But then, I started reading some reviews (because I am an internet junkie, yes, I know) about some high-heat ceramic straighteners that will fritz out EVEN WHEN you use a voltage adaptor! Somehow, I don't think the other 3 guys with whom The Boy is currently sharing a flat would appreciate my straightener shorting out the flat's circuits at 8am.

So madly I scurry off to go grab my straightener & its model number, to see if anyone else has tried using it in Europe. And then I see the magical little words: "125/250V AC 50/60Hz"

Allllright, this baby's dual-voltage!

So, in addition to being effective, easy-to-use, and affordable, it also travels! Which means I can return that $50 voltage converter now, and use the funds to buy cool UK beauty loot instead! Beat that, Chi!


FYI, the model number on mine is the same as the one depicted (CS25HC), but mine has gold plates, and the comb attachment (which comes off if you want).

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 8:56 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

G, seriously? The only reason you bought the voltage converter was for you hair straightener?!?!?!?!?!?!? I don't understand. But maybe that is because I have the frizz hair from hell and it will NEVER be straight ever, so I can't even begin to understand about the joys of straight hair. Or maybe you are more than just a little bit obsessive about your hair. Not that I'm judging. We don't judge here. This is a safe space... :)

 
At 11:28 p.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

If even YOU are surprised by this, then maybe my obsession has reached clinical, committable levels...

 
At 9:16 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok calm down! I have a connair curling iron and all I took was one of those cheapie converters and it worked. If it's a good product (ie, laptop, curling iron, cell phone charger) then it'll do just fine in the UK. In fact you can buy extra converters right when you're at the airport and they usually only cost a couple of pounds. don't pay any more than that! Have a great time!

 
At 10:42 a.m., Blogger Cowgirl Warrior said...

I'm happy to hear that the straightener will work in the U.K, even better that you could stick it to the way too expensive brands.
Thanks so much for the fragrance recon...you rock!

 
At 12:07 p.m., Blogger Kat said...

Love that you can stick it to the more expensive brands! I bought my straightner from the salon where I get my hair cut, but they sold me a professional one for a wicked price. I love love love it! It too had a comb, but the boy threw it out because he didn't know what the 'wierd comb thing on the counter' was.
I like to think of the ends of my hair as directionally challenged rather than wiry and frizzy haha.
Have a wicked awesome trip!!

 
At 3:03 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought a Paul Mitchell style straightener.. and it works wonderfully! I love it. :) I've never used a Conair one, to be honest.

I love your blog, and I'm a bit new to blogging but I have one of my own: http://www.datura.typepad.com
Check it out, and perhaps we can link each other?

 
At 5:16 p.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Hen: Awesome blossom, thanks for the tip! I have a plug-converter thingy... although I think I overpaid a bit for it. Oh well, at least I know the appliance will work! Thanks for the well wishes!

CW: Hey, no problem. As if I actually needed a reason to go visit Sephora anyway! ;)

Kat: "Directionally challenged".... I love it! I think I may love getting shiny brand name things at ... um, rusty (?) no-name prices even more than I love stickin' it to the big guys. I will do my best to have wicked awesome times! :)

Maria: Hi! Thanks so much for visiting. I've heard some good things about Paul Mitchell's hair care stuff, but I didn't know he made irons too. If my Conair ever bites the dust (knock on wood!) I'll have to check it out. You'll have to let me know how the PlayDoh perfume smells if you ever get your hands on some. I was thisclose to trying some when I was in FL, but I missed Ulta by like 5 mins...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home