Friday, November 10, 2006

Today's Perfume: Dolce & Gabbana's Sicily

Okay, so with an ad like this and a model like Monica Bellucci, do we even care what the perfume smells like? The poster alone makes you want to own it!




Listed Notes: Sicilian Bergamot, Jasmine, Pearl Rose, Sandalwood, Heliotrope.

I was talking about picking a warmer scent for Fall, and this certainly qualifies. This, to me, is the perfume equivalent of an expensive fitted cardigan. While not "old-ladyish", this might be something I'd wear if I were some fabulously organized and sophisticated business woman, who also happens to be the Perfect Mom.

Let me try and explain. Right off the bat, Sicily smells very soapy. Not in the harsh chemical detergent way, but rather like the floral soaps in your guest bathroom that no one in your house is ever allowed to actually use. I also get some woods (the sandalwood, I guess) coming through right away, and don't detect any of the bergamot that's supposed to be in there. This is certainly no sugar-laden citrus... if it's there, then it's subtle and dry.

I do think there is a sweetness to this though, and I think that's driven by the smooth vanilla (hence the "Mom" comment). I also detect some spice mixed in to the woods, but it's more of an incense-y spice than a foody kind. (I wouldn't call the fragrance smokey though, it's got too much soap for that.)

Like Ecume de Thé, the last bit of the drydown is my favourite part of this fragrance (although I like it much much much better than Ecume de Thé). There's a teeeeny bit of something salty down there. I can barely smell it, but that, combined with the smooth sandalwood, leaves an interesting last note on the skin.

I could see wearing this out to the theatre, or an art gallery or book reading or something. While I am not stark raving mad about this one, I do think it's quite nice. Not really something I could pull off for everyday though, as it is a bit pervasive. It's sort of like "Floriental Lite", if you will. I'm sure Dolce and/or Gabbana would have a heart attack to hear me say that, but ... well, I doubt they read blogs, you know?

However, if you told me that this scent would fool people into thinking that I was as gorgeous as Monica, I'd bathe in the stuff!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11:31 a.m., Blogger Cowgirl Warrior said...

I got the Sephora Christmas flyer the other day and there's one in there called Creme Brulee, I'm intrigued not sure if I want to smell like dessert.
Next time you're in Sephora give it a sniff and let me know what you think. Can't remember who makes it. It was a first name and last name. First name was Laurence? and last name started with a D.

 
At 12:13 p.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Laurence Dumont (according to the website)... got it! I might go down today, even. Hopefully they'll have it in-store, will report back!

 
At 5:51 p.m., Blogger Cowgirl Warrior said...

I appreciate it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home