Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Product Review: The Body Shop Lip Gloss Dot

Oh the Body Shop. We have a love/hate relationship, she and I. Some of her products, like the "only-at-Christmas" Cranberry body butter* & scented oil, are just unbeatable and I keep going back for more. Others, like their shampoos and the foundations from their old makeup line, are not much better than drug-store quality, and yet they come with a much bigger price tag. Since L'Oreal took over the company though, there have been some changes for the better. The Cassis Rose line, for instance, is a big hit. Roommate has also fallen in love with the new Golden Apple Body Butter, and I totally agree that it smells good enough to eat.

Ah, but this is (mostly) a make-up blog: what of their recently launched make-up line? Having had less-than-stellar experiences with the old products, I was hesitant to jump in with any big purchases. But, and Kristen over at Beauty Addict agrees, the sleek, modern-looking packaging was too hip to pass up, and I was in the market for a new red lip gloss. So I decided to give their Lip Gloss Dots in Bilberry a try.



Bilberry is a rich cranberry red with a subtle red-gold shimmer. In the pot, it looks like a cool, dark red, but it comes off on the lips as much more neutral -- almost on the warm, brickish side.

The gloss goes on smoothly, gives a nice shine, feels moisturizing, and has a buildable amount of pigment. Depending on if you've slicked on lip balm under it and how much you're applying, you can get anywhere from a sheer wash of colour to a medium-intense hue. Staying power is decent, and it's not at all sticky. Oh, and it smells EXACTLY like the Body Shop's old Dewberry gloss, which is sort of a sweet, tart-fruity berry. There is no taste to the gloss, just scent.

This lipgloss is a great way to try out the Fall red lip for the uninitiated. Certainly, no one will accuse you of getting lost on the way to a burlesque show when you wear this, but it's more dramatic than the safe pinks and mauves that are accumulating in your make-up drawer (ok, MY make-up drawer). These Lip Gloss Dots come in 4 other shades: Ice Shimmer, Candy Pink, Hot Pink (pictured), and Soft Plum. How festive.


Oh, there will be sadly no perfume talk today, as I have literally been at school for 37 hours (and counting). Oh yes, I am a fine sight to behold right now. Yay me.


* I should warn: though the Cranberry Body Butter smells divine, it tastes like the worst thing ever. I can scrub my hands clean after application, and still taste it on my fingers hours later when I put on lipbalm... nast! However, this might be a good deterrent for over-eager suitors who try to kiss when kissing is not warranted. "Ha! Eat bitter lotion, Mr. Pushy McGrab Grab!"

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 10:33 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

G, what is this, like red lip gloss #762? I hate to say it, but I think you have a problem! I wonder if 'Intervention' deals with lip gloss addiction???

But I do love the Golden Apple stuff... Yum!

 
At 11:56 a.m., Blogger Cowgirl Warrior said...

Oh the Glitterati has a serious lip balm addiction but don't cure her...that's the number one idea if you get her for secret santa.
I have been tempted by the new packaging and have noticed that there are quite a few colours that still exist from the old line that I enjoyed.
Just so you know when you're back in the CGY, Sunridge is corporate.
After our deep freeze (-15 not so bad but I don't like the sudden appearance of cold weather) I'll head up there to check out the Christmas stuff.

 
At 6:42 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roomie: You were THERE! You told me to buy it!! ENABLER!!! :D

CW: That was like the best Secret Santa gift ever. Like, 2 handfuls of various lipbalms all at once. It was like Christmas. (Especially the part where it was *actually* Christmas.)

 
At 10:47 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh THAT red lip gloss... There are so many, it's hard to keep track... :P

 
At 1:06 a.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

It's like, an illness, m'kay? Like, probably medical. Genetic predisposition to lip products. I can't fight nature.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home