Tuesday, September 19, 2006

PSA: Thesis on hold due to big-ass crazy Sephora sale!

Hey everyone! I know I said I wouldn't be back here for a while, but this is some crazy big news that I just have to share: The good people of Sephora have officially lost their minds!

Oh yes, it's true. I went in there today to check out Tarte's new concealer "The Eraser" (since the wonderful Elke at The Beauty Newsletter raved about it so) and Bourjois' Lip Stain Pen (since Teri at Beautiful Makeup Search ... er, raved about it so). (Who, me? Lemming? Never!) Apparently, all of Toronto also likes to read these fab blogs, because Sephora was sold out of both these products.

Normally, I'd have been disappointed, but today, I was too busy foaming at the mouth in disbelief to care. Because folks, check out the prices on these quality perfumes:
- Gendarme: $6 for travel-size, $11 for 60mL
- Carriére: $10 for 30mL, $16 for 60mL, and $25 for 120mL.
- Comme des Garcons 2 & Comme des Garcons Parfum: ranging from $16 to apx. $30, depending on the product.
- Laila by Geir Ness: $12 for 50mL or $9 for a tube of scented body lotion.
- Comptoire Sud Pacific's Aqua Motu and Bois de Filao for $13, if I recall correctly.
- Chantecaille: Le Jasmin, Le Violet, Le Rose, and Le The for $9 to $13.


Seriously, I think I almost had a seizure just looking at the display. A seizure of joy and near-delirious desire, and an overwhelming urge to sweep things into my shopping basket, which the SA keenly handed me. (The drool coming off my chin probably tipped her off.)

I ended up buying Gendarme, Carriére, and Laila. I haven't worn any of them for very long, but I'll say a few words about each.



First up, Gendarme. I had thought that this might have been a nice gift for The Boy, because he doesn't have any proper cologne. (I mean, if anyone can make Axe deodorant spray work, it's HIM. But it's nice to have options.) Anyway, it's a fairly unisex scent... very much a fresh-soapy-clean smell. The listed notes are: Citrus, Verbena, Jasmine, Thyme, and Leather.

Remember how I was all gaga over Demeter's Laundromat? Gendarme is like Laundromat's more sophisticated, Armani-suit wearing older brother. That is not to say that this is a serious scent. In fact, it's very laid back and casual. But it has a soft comfortable elegance to it that Laudromat cannot even hope to achieve.

This is how you want your man to smell on a rainy Sunday afternoon when you're snuggled up on the couch having a movie marathon. Actually, it's how *I* want to smell on a rainy Sunday afternoon, etc. etc. Which is why I am seriously considering keeping this bottle all to myself.





Luckily for The Boy, I bought that bottle of Carriére (also by Gendarme). The 2 scents are remarkably similar... almost identical. Perhaps this should not be surprising: the listed notes of "Lemon, Lime, Bergamot, Lavender, Lilac, Jasmine and soft florals" mirror those of Gendarme's.

Again a wonderfully soapy and clean scent, it is slightly more feminie than Gendarme. For some reason, I am getting a whipser of Eau de Suntan Lotion out of this, but it's not in a bad way. It also seems a teeeeeny tiny bit creamier, although this by no means detracts from the fresh lightness of the scent. Despite all those floral notes, I wouldn't call this a floral perfume. It's much too airy and ... well, "non-flowery" ... for that. Gendarme has a more bracing quality to it at the start, but upon drydown, I can barely tell the difference between the two.





As for Laila, I'd actually smelled this fragrance sometime last year, and almost bought it full price at the Norway 'exhibit' at Epcot a couple months ago. Thank goodness I waited!

I haven't put any on tonight, but as I recall, Laila was all about the white florals. The first few seconds are almost stingingly sharp and sweet... with sort of a Calgon Body Spray-esque quality (freesia, maybe?).It mellows quickly to a clean white scent (notice a trend in my purchases??), but n comparison to the Gendarme fragrances, it is much more floral and not as soapy. It's the most feminine of the 3 that I bought. I was impressed enough to want to buy it then, so I hope I'll continue to like it. It might have just been all the Viking paraphernalia and Epcot funnel cake talking though -- something about being around Viking gear makes me want to procure loot and bounty and whatnot.


Hurray hurray hurray, I love getting new perfume, especially when it's such a steal. Run, don't walk to a Sephora if you can, and give these juices a sniff if you haven't already done so. You might find a new favourite at an unbeatable price! I might have to go back myself and get a larger size of Carriére, or buy another bottle of Gendarme just for me!

Alrighty then, back to the grindstone. Hope you all are doing well!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 10:21 a.m., Blogger Cowgirl Warrior said...

Alright! My plan: sometime in the New Year, heading to T.O (perhaps with Pia) to do a self inflicted what not to wear type shopping (only at stores not located in CGY, I have issues with provincial sales tax) So that includes Sephora.

 
At 12:51 p.m., Blogger Cowgirl Warrior said...

I agree the East Indian girl is stunning, but she has to stop crying about contact lenses.

 
At 12:35 a.m., Blogger Healthblogs said...

I think so. I think your article will give those people a good reminding. And they will express thanks to you later hormone health and weight loss center reviews

 

Post a Comment

<< Home