Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Eat bread crusts to curl your hair

Day 3 of Comments for a Cure -- this is your last chance!! I'll donate $1 to the Canadian Cancer Society for each comment left on today's post, so please leave a comment -- I'm at 16 so far and it would be great reach my $50 goal!

I haven't been replying to comments, so as to not artifically inflate the count, but I just wanted to say a BIG THANKYOU to everyone who's commented. Your support means a lot, and I really appreciate it! Keep 'em coming!



Anyone remember this one? It was a popular saying from back in the day. Obviously, it isn't true, but who knows how many loaf-heels little girls chomped on in hopes of achieving glorious ringlets? And why are little girls so dumb as to believe such crazy things?*

Perhaps I'm being too harsh on the little girls... plenty of adults belive in the idea of eating something to enhance your appeal. I'm not talking about antioxidant and vitamin rich veggies and fruits (although we all should eat more of those anyway!). I'm not even talking about products like Tarte's Inside Out Lip Gloss, which is apparently enriched with extracts of green tea, grapeseed, lychee, vitamins, and something called Acai (whatever! They're shimmery and pretty!).

No no, my friends. I am talking about chewing gum that makes you smell pretty.




Fuwarinka gum promises to not only deliver a pleasurable chewing experience**, but also to perfume you with a rose or vanilla fragrance. Mentioned in Sephora's Blog and Now Smell This, this gum supposedly makes your skin secrete a rose scent, and the candy in the same line creates a vanilla scent.


Could this possibly work? I mean, one time my friend smelled like onions after he ate a lot of Pho, but he eats a lot of things in general, so who knows? But, according to a hilarious review at Gastronomy 101, it doesn't work. In addition to not working, it (the rose candy) also tasted pretty much disgusting. It comes in 3 flavours: Rose, Citrus (much less gross than the Rose), and Menthol-Rose (which the reviewer did not try, but sounds like some kind of novelty cigarrette to me.)

Nonetheless, I just need to try this. I have no idea how I will go about finding it, but I'm due for a trip back to the Motherland (aka: Hong Kong) this Christmas, so maybe I'll be able to track some down there!


Thanks for visiting & commenting today, and please check out the Comments for a Cure website, CaféPress Store, and leave comments for the other participating blogs too!

99 Products
A Touch of Blusher
A Girl's Gotta Spa
Aging Fabulous
All About the Pretty
All Lacquered Up
AZ Spa Girls
Beautiful Makeup Search
Beauty & Fashion Tech
Beauty Hatchery
Beautynomics
eBeautyDaily
GirlPaint
Life of a Ladybug
Lipstick Powder n' Paint
Makeup Minute
Mystical Beauty Musings
Pretty by Nature
Real Self
The Beauty Newsletter Blog
The Makeup Bag
The Makeup Girl
The Product Girl
The Perfume Bee
We Love Beauty
Yummy411




* For instance, when I was little, I believed that I wanted to be a cartoon volleyball player. I practised using a blown-up grocery bag, tied tightly at the handles. It was a pretty sad scene.

** In truth, I have no idea what they promise, as I don't read Japanese. "Promising great pleasurable chewing experience!" does sound like something you'd see on a package of Japanese gum though.



Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 3:07 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Commenting for a cure ;-)

 
At 3:42 p.m., Blogger Brigit said...

When I was little I really believed that the "potions" I made by macerating different plant parts from my grandma's backyard and adding stuff like orange juice could really make me look pretty. That might explain how I ended up being a chemist. However, the fact that I'm still alive could be mostly due to dear grandma preventing me from drinking the "beauty potions". :D

 
At 5:22 p.m., Blogger Token-Black-Girl said...

Commenting.

 
At 7:59 p.m., Blogger Ryan Alvin Tang said...

I smelled pretty damn good after I ate a whole duck.

 
At 9:57 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never believed the thing about the crusts. But I always ate my crusts. And now look at me. Curls out the wazoo. Coincidence??? Perhaps. Unfortunate??? Definitely!

 
At 10:11 p.m., Blogger Kevin said...

If you thought that the Sens game from the other night sucked, tonight was FAR worse. Who loses an elimination game 6-2?

Oh, and International Eat a Whole Duck Day might be the best invention since Christmas.

 
At 11:26 p.m., Blogger TheBeautyBrains said...

Got it in just under the wire!

Incidentally, the gum you talk about sounds pretty interesting. It certainly sounds like a lot of bunk but as a scientist I'm always curious about anything.

Good luck with the fund raising and keep up the great blog work.

Left Brain

ps. I wonder if they could make one to make you smell like black markers. For some weird reason, I like that smell.

 
At 2:14 a.m., Blogger Ryan Alvin Tang said...

Hell yeah, International Eat a Whole Duck Day is super great. Eating a whole duck with no utensils makes you feel like a real man. I expect you two to a whole duck each next May 26th.

 
At 10:01 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Commenting for a cure - and YUCK rose gum? whatever happened to wearing perfume??

 
At 11:37 a.m., Blogger Cowgirl Warrior said...

Commenting for the cure, and we must talk before you go to Hong Kong...I need a purse :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home