Thursday, April 16, 2009

Product Review: Cover Girl Lash Blast Luxe Mascara

They say a girl can never have too much shimmer in her life. And well, not to be a snot, but obviously that is untrue. Frosty 90's shimmer is rarely a good thing. Shimmer lotion spackled on so thickly it rubs all over your fancy little black party dress making you look like you had a run-in with a deodorant stick -- also not good. Shimmery* sequined tights a la Jason Meyer's atrocity on the Project Runway Canada finale? *Shudder*

But generally speaking, a little shimmer is a good thing. It adds depth, interest, and sparkle. It's fun and girly! So a little shimmer should help pretty much any product, right? This must have been what the folks at Cover Girl were thinking when they came up with Lash Blast Luxe Mascara. Shimmer in a mascara? Why not? People luuurve shimmer. Right?


Well, maybe it's just me, but the shimmer in Lash Blast Luxe does absolutely nada. I got the blue shade (it's called the very dramatic Black Royale), which, as far as I can tell, is a black base with blue shimmer. Once it's on the lashes though, I can barely see the shimmer at all. I certainly can't tell if it 'brightens' my eyes or whatever. If I look super closely, I can tell something's there, but it sort of just looks like I was messy when applying my shimmer eye shadow and got some on my lashes. Hmm.

Despite the shimmer having little-to-undesirable effects, I actually quite liked the forumla. It seems a bit drier than the original Lash Blast, which means that while it didn't create quite as much volume for me, it was much better at getting that soft feathery look. A bit softer than the regular Lash Blast, but also easier to deal with (Lash Blast original got a little clumpy sometimes, and my lashes would stick together). It stays on well, is smudge free, and I can wear it with contacts on no problem.

So would I recommend this? Well, if you love Lash Blast already, then you probably don't need this. But if the original Lash Blast was a bit too wet for you, or if you haven't tried Lash Blast and like the idea of having (barely-perceptible) shimmer in your mascara, then go ahead and grab a tube. It's definitely not a bad product, just don't go expecting Liza-Minelli-crossed-with-Vegas-showgirl lashes from this!



* Okay, technically I guess that's more "sparkly" or "blingy". It was horrific however you slice it. Also, I totally want the Jessica Biffi Winner's dress now! Oh to have $100 extra. Or $400 extra, so I can get it in all those colours. Mmmm... sherbet-y.



Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:02 p.m., Anonymous Organic Make Up said...

This is quite a comprehensible review of the Lash Blast Luxe Mascara from Cover Girl. The best thing about the mascara in my opinion is its shimmer. :-)

 
At 9:23 a.m., Blogger Toya said...

The shimmer was unnoticeable to me. I was really disappointed. I got the Black Emerald and not even a *hint* of green shimmer. Blech.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home