Friday, October 31, 2008

Product Review: Cover Girl Wetslicks Fruit Spritzers Lipgloss

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Today is the last day for Comment for a Cure! For every comment left on this blog until midnight tonight (the witching hour!), I will donate $1 to the Canadian Cancer Society, to a limit of $50. ALSO, your comment enters you into the draw to win this lovely bottle of Donna Karan's Cashmere Mist!


There are lots of reasons to buy a drugstore lipgloss these days. There's that big bad recession thing, of course. Even in more abundant times, we often want to pinch our pennies in the "frivolous spending" department to save up for bigger and better things. But for me? The best reason to buy a cheapie lipgloss is that it's just really really terrific.

I'm not sure that I had ever tried a Cover Girl gloss prior to this. I think it had something to do with the name... "Wetslicks". Sounds like seal skin, or oil spills, or um... something really X-rated. Not exactly appealing things to think about as you're applying goop to your lips.

Even when they came out with the Fruit Spritzers, even with the alluring fruity scent and the ANTM-hawking, I somehow resisted. Until I tried it during one sleepless, late-night drugstore amble (anyone else do that?).



Needless to say, I was really impressed! The shade I picked up, Raspberry Splash, is a sheer cool pink, with a really attractive "watery" quality that I like. The feel is anything but watery though, it's just right - not too sticky and thick, but not so thin it feels like it's going to run all over the place. Pretty moisturizing too! Strangely, it smells nothing like Raspberry, but rather exactly like Hubba Bubba Watermelon bubble gum, which I LOVED as a kid. So this is a-ok by me!

I liked this gloss so much that I picked up another 3 shades whilst on a Binge Shopping trip in Buffalo NY. (Don't knock Buffalo. It has a Target AND outlets!) Guava Splash is equally awesome - it is a very slightly peachy pink... paler and warmer than Raspberry, and gives what I call a "baby lips" effect. Really innocent and soft, and the scent is pretty much the same watermelon-y yumminess.

Berry Splash was just ok. (I think either this or Guava Spalsh is the pink shade pictured above) There's more cool shimmer in this one, so it leaves my lips kind of frosty. You have to work a bit to blend the colour in, otherwise the frost sits unevenly. Still, not a bad choice for certain looks. Scent is some vague but pleasant combo of watermelon and berry.

Fig Spalsh was a big disappointment. It looks like a pale caramel in the tube, and I had high hopes for it both in the colour (perfect subtle nude???) and the scent (figgy deliciousness???) departments. Sadly, this shade is just way too frosty/pale and hard to blend on me. If I use a very thin layer, it is not too bad, but generally it gives me what I call "90's lips". And the scent is this weird chocolatey thing, which I'm not into.

Oh well, so they're not all perfect, but overall these Spritzers are a great buy. Lasting power is med-low, but hey, they cost $5 and are fun to apply, so I'm not complaining. Always happy to find a deal!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 4:31 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for donating

 
At 8:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think they are too sheer, and I don't like strong smelling lippies. Third entry for the draw!

 
At 10:01 p.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Thanks Bea! :)

Mitreyi: Yes, these are quite sheer, so they'll only work for sheer lip looks unless you're layering over something. The scent disappears fairly quickly, but if you're looking for a more pigmented, non-scented gloss, and you're in Canada (or have a friend up here), check out Annabelle's glosses, they're great! And thanks for entering!

 
At 10:43 p.m., Blogger FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

I really want to try them now. I love sheer glosses :)

 
At 7:41 p.m., Blogger Carol Lee said...

I am also a sucker with drugstore brand make up products. Sometimes the big brands disappoints us too. I've owned several pricey ones yet their performance are less than stellar.

discount makeup

 

Post a Comment

<< Home