Sunday, April 27, 2008

Tighten Your Wallet and/or Your Belt

Hey folks! So, you know how it's all hot and sunny out? And you know how the need for caffeine strikes grad-student-bloggers who stay up way too late drinking way too much beer while watching their hockey team (who hasn't won the Stanley Cup in way too many years) let in waaayyyyy too many goals to lose yet another series ... um, where was I? Right: Coffee. Need it. And when the temperatures are on the rise, the desire for something cold, delicious, and Starbucks kicks in.

Yeah, but that lush-lookin' frap has over 300 calories, and that's WITHOUT the whip. And not that I'm one to obsess over these kinds of things, but the idea of consuming a meal's worth of calories* in one drink on a regular basis is a bit disconcerting (Grande ain't just a drink size, people). Besides, these babies are like $4-something a pop, and at my typical rate of coffee consumption, I'd go broke in no time.

So today, while standing in line at Starbucks, I pondered: I want coffee. Just like my regular brewed coffee, but... cold. How does one make hot coffee cold? With ice, you say? And what's this on the menu... "Brewed Iced Coffee"?? And it only costs a bit more than the regular coffee? How have I never thought to order this before?!?!



Even if you are a sugar freak like me, and put in 2 shots of flavoured syrup PLUS sweetener, with a dash of skim, it still all comes to just about 150 calories for the Grande size. At $2.68 for all that, I am a happy camper. A happy, caffeinated, cool-as-a-cucumber camper. Sugar-free syrup would put you at 110 calories, and if you're feeling especially frugal, you can skip the syrup and just use sweetener -- it dissolves better than sugar, and you don't really taste the "fake-sugar" aftertaste much due to the coffee-ness and cold-ness of it all.

Yes, okay, so it doesn't look as sexy as the Vanilla Frap. But pour some milk into that baby, watch it billow out in silky clouds, and tell me that it doesn't make you feel like a coffee artiste.


And since this is a beauty blog and all... in beauty-related wallet-friendly news, my favourite go-to conditioner, Thermasilk, is long gone. It's been replaced by ThermaShine in the Sunsilk line. While it's not 100% the same, it's pretty darn close (even the scent!). I just don't get excited about it in the same way though... I think the blue/lilac colour is throwing me off. I did pick up another bottle the other day when I ran out, so obviously it's good enough. And it's cheap and easily available, which is always good. (That's what she said.)




*To be honest, I can never finish one of those anyway. It's just too much -- makes me too full. Plus, they're either too cold to start, or too warm and gross and separated by the time it's liquid enough to really drink. I am a sucker for their whipped cream though!


Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 5:19 p.m., Blogger Rae // theNotice said...

x.x It's not warm and sunny where I live! We had a cold snap, and it snowed all weekend.

Starbucks makes good passionfruit lemonades, too. At least I think that's what they're called - they're off-menu, and I always have to check with my friends. Memory like a sieve!

 
At 4:47 p.m., Blogger FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

Seriously? I drink Starbucks and I only do it once every 2 months because it's 400 calories for the one I love.

If you pick up teir guide of all the calories of every drink, it'll blow your mind...

 
At 4:13 p.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Yeah, it's totally scary! Starbucks is really convenient (right under my office) but I mostly just get regular coffee there. Although I kind of dislike their regular coffee (burnt much?). Their lemonades and stuff are delicious though, even if pricey.

 
At 12:34 a.m., Blogger Healthblogs said...

I think so. I think your article will give those people a good reminding. And they will express thanks to you later hormone health and weight loss center reviews

 

Post a Comment

<< Home