Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Not Makeup: Rememberance

A young corporal in the Canadian Armed Forces was killed while serving in Afghanistan yesterday. I did not know him, but he was very close to someone I used to be very good friends with. That friend and I had lost touch years and years ago, but her loss feels shockingly close to home. I can't even begin to imagine what she is going through.

Selfishly, I wondered: what if it had happened to me? What if it was my boyfriend, or brother, or best friend? How would I deal with losing someone so young and so full of life... someone I had looked forward to sharing my entire life with?

I don't know how I'd deal. But I do know that I was reminded today to be grateful for the amazing people in my life. Take a minute, and just forget about everything. Forget the bills, the job, the keeping-up-with-the-Joneses. And for God's sake, forget the wrinkles, the frizzy hair, and the cellulite. Because we are all perfect the way we are. We are loved, and we love, and for even just one minute a day, that is enough.

My thoughts and prayers to grieving family, and to my old friend.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:10 a.m., Blogger Kat said...

Beautiful! That brought tears to my eyes. Its so true though. We live in such a fast paced world where people seldom take time to stop and think of what they really have. I am constantly in awe of the wonderful people in my life and the person I have become. Thanks so much for writing that darling!

 
At 12:52 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Kat!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home