Sunday, May 28, 2006

Foundation Week Wrap-Up

Man, daily reviews are kind of exhausting! My hat goes off to all you bloggers who diligently post on your blogs every day. Anyway, I thought I'd do a quick recap post summarizing my experiences with all those foundations. Because recaps are handy and whatnot. So here they are, from best to worst:


Almay Smart Shade Makeup:
Pro's: Great shade match, light-feeling, extremely natural coverage.
Con's: Coverage may be too light for some, only one shade of tester available.
Overall Grade: A

Revlon ColorStay Active Light Makeup:
Pro's: Lasting power, fantastic at shine-stopping, feels light, natural coverage.
Con's: Shade is slightly off, thick & somewhat difficult to blend.
Overall Grade: A-


Sally Hansen Airbrush Makeup:
Pro's: Thin, easy to blend, good coverage & lasting power, natural-looking, gimmicky aerosol can.
Con's: Weird smell, can look masky if over-applied, lack of shade choices.
Overall Grade: B+/A- (Depending on how well you can find a shade match)

Paul & Joe Liquid Foundation:
Pro's: Feels very nice to apply, easy to blend, great colour match.
Con's: Emphasized dryness, not great at stopping shine, price.
Overall Grade: B+

Maybelline Wonder Finish:
Pro's: Very blendable, nice feel & finish, good shade match.
Con's: Sucks at stopping oil, not long lasting, coverage a little masky.
Overall Grade: B+

Maybelline Pure.Makeup:
Pro's: Feels light and breathable, cool texture.
Con's: Inconsistent coverage, grabbed on to dry spots, slight powdery look.
Overall Grade: B- (I know I'm in the minority; lots of people seem to like it. Oh well.)

L'Oreal Infallible Foundation:
Pro's: Packaging is nifty, nice initial texture.
Con's: Colour oxidizes, bad at stopping oil, migrates to emphasize dry spots, felt thick and cakey.
Overall Grade: F


Whew! And that's that. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy about Almay's new Smart Shade, and will be reaching for that a lot this summer. If you've tried any of these foundations, or have another wicked foundation that you love, please do share your thoughts! Thanks for reading along!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 7:46 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just had to say, after reading your post about Almay Smart Shade I HAD to run out and buy it. It took me a few days to find, but I found it at Walgreens, and now I'm a full coverage kind of gal..

But WOW. I am so impressed! I am usually a VERY hard to match skintone because I'm terribly rosey so my skin tends to look different colors on different days..

This makeup did not dissapoint! True, the coverage is a little lighter than I like but for the EXACT color and tone match.. I build it.

Thank you for your post - if you hadn't I might not have picked it up and found my new favorite foundation! ;) I can't stop showing everyone I know how it works.. I probably should save some for my face though! lol Thank you so much again!

 
At 7:07 p.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Hi Emma! Thanks for your comment! Hurray, another Smart Shade convert! :) It really seems like this stuff is a god-send for those with hard-to-match skin tones... I wouldn't be surprised to see it on the "Best New/Innovative Product" lists at the end of the year. Are you listening, Allure?

Thanks again for reading!

 
At 9:07 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, you have officially been added as a bookmark... haha I'm a heeeuge fan, I'm 14 and i'm finding that I relate to your foundation blogs (re infallible was truely a waste of time). Just curious if you could paaaleease write a blog on your start to finish make-up procedure =D. O and what powder do you use to set your makeup? I am finding that my revlon color something is caking... =S

xxx rach

 
At 11:23 p.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Hi Rach! Thanks for visiting, and for bookmarking! I will absolutely write a post about my makeup routine, what a great idea! Look for it later this week.

As for powder, I'm mostly using mineral makeup these days, so there's no need for an extra powder step. I did like Lumiere Cosmetic's Pure Silk finishing powder (mentioned in a review here). It's very affordable, especially for the quality. However, if you're looking for something you can grab from the drugstore, I also like NYC loose powder. Seriously. Yes, it costs like $3 and looks kinda cheap, but I find it does a pretty good job. I think it's really key to use a good brush and a light hand -- you should only need a whisper of powder to set makeup, IMHO.

 
At 3:53 a.m., Blogger s. said...

Wow. About 4 years since you wrote this. I'd love to read a 2010 update!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home