Monday, May 29, 2006

Product Review: Neolia Olive Oil Lotion

Can I share an odd fact? I have some kind of bizarre fondness for green body products. I am very much NOT one of those 'embrace nature' girls*, and I have no problem with using beauty products will all sorts of 'artificial' and non-vegan ingredients. But I luuuurve me some green lotion. Cucumber, avocado, lime... whatever, I'll take it. There's just something about the colour green that inherently suggests a certain ... lushness. Vibrancy. Invigoration. All sorts of other catchy advertising words.

One of my absolute favourite green products is the Olive Body Butter from The [sort of evil] Body Shop. You've probably all seen it and/or tried it. Of all the Butters, Olive is probably my favourite. Unless it's the Nut Butter. Or Strawberry. Or... Ok, fine, I have a problem. Whatever, you already knew that. Anyway, the Olive Butter's got this wonderful fresh olive scent, and the texture is light and whipped. Of course, it's also got this earthy green and "organic" look to it. It moisturizes well without feeling heavy, and is just great for summer time.

However, possibly because it feels so whipped, I find that I go through this stuff like crazy. If I use it daily, it probably lasts me about 3 weeks. At $18 CAD a pop, I can't afford to use it up so fast! Reason #31 why The [sort of evil] Body Shop is sort of evil!!!

I've tried a few other "olive" moisturizers on the market... I think Fruits & Passions has one, and a few of our favourite discount retail chains have now lemmed** on with their own (rather substandard) versions. While some of these products are ok at what they do, none have captured that oh-so-important-and-delicious smell of Olive Butter.

Enter.... Costco?!?! That's right folks, Costco! No longer just for 2-gallon tubs of mayonnaise and free food samples! I found this Neolia Olive Oil Moisturizing Lotion there, and exclaimed with surprise and delight*** upon trying it: it smells almost exactly like the Olive Body Butter! And a giant pump bottle (700mL!) cost me just $10 CAD. Oh joys!

Neolia's entire product line (there's also a bar soap and body wash) features "100% Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil" and aloe vera as its star ingredients. I must admit that it doesn't rub in as well or absorb as quickly as the Olive Body Butter, but it feels very moisturizing once you have it rubbed in. It's a medium-thick lotion that I don't find too sticky or anything. And the scent is heavenly of course. It doesn't stay obtrusively on you throughout the day, and it doesn't interfere with perfume, but I can smell it lingering pleasantly on my pajamas sometimes. It's certainly a great way to satiate my Olive Body Butter cravings without breaking the bank.

Sadly, the Neolia lotion is sort of an off-white, not a yummy green. Oh well. They told me that I'd have to make some sacrifices in terms of finances and lifestyle when I became a grad student, and I'm pretty sure this is exactly what they meant. I might buy the Olive Butter again as a treat for myself on occasion, but for every-day use, the Neolia lotion is a worthy substitute.

And now I've got a strange craving for guacamole. Which doesn't even have olive in it. How does that even happen???


As requested, here is the ingredients list for the Neolia Olive Oil Body Lotion:

Aqua, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Cetearyl Acohol, Ceteareth-20, Cetyl Alcohol, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Polyacrylamide, Isoparafin C13-C14, Laureth-7, Glycerin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaen, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben.



[EDIT 09/25/06: I spotted the 236mL tube of the Neolia lotion at Shopper's Drug Mart recently, going for about $8 CAD. So that's good news for us Canadians. I'm afraid this isn't much help for those abroad, although if you do happen to visit our lovely country, SDMs are all over the place, and it should be fairly easy to grab a tube. Or 12.]


* I have nothing against nature, she's a cool mamma. I just don't roll with that crowd, you know?
** Possible new word??? [lemmed -- past tense of 'lemm': To create a faux version of a much hyped item, in accordance with popular opinion. der. 'lemming', ex. "She saw the buzz that the new retro-madras jumper created, and so lemmed up her own from last season's plaid. How very Molly Ringwald of her!"] Yes? No?
*** It probably sounded a bit like "wwhrreeeee!"

Labels: , ,

24 Comments:

At 1:18 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you love green u should try the sephora body souffle in the green tin, man is it good! its got avocado and mint and other good stuff....


and it smells edible!! mmm!

 
At 3:16 p.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Ohmigod that sounds so yum! I must check it out, thanks for the tip!!

 
At 3:09 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to buy Neolia in Costco, Leeds, UK but now they have stopped selling the body wash and when the lotion runs out they will not re-stock that either. I cannot find a bodywash of that caliber anywhere. Help, please.

 
At 10:34 a.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Hi Anon from Leeds!

That sucks that Costco won't stock it anymore. You can always try to get it online, but it looks pretty hard to come by there too. Plus shipping can't be cheap, since it's so bulky. Might you have kind friends or relatives that live in North America?

The closest thing I've tried to the Neolia lotion (other than TBS' Olive Butter) is a Pear Raspberry lotion by Melaleuca. (Melaleuca is sort of a catalogue-order company... somewhat like Avon.) In terms of texture & moisture, the 2 are similar. But obviously, this one smells like pear & raspberries instead of olive oil (they also have a body wash in a matching scent).

I haven't tried the Neolia body wash, so I really don't know what would be comparable. But speaking of Avon, I've heard their Olive Oil Whipped Body Cream is quite good. There's a body wash in that line as well.

If you send me an email at brainspammer@gmail.com, I can attempt to keep you posted if I come across anything I think you might like!

 
At 10:05 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info on Neolia. Would you be able to post the ingredients list for the Neolia lotion? I can't find them anywhere on-line and they don't have them on the Neolia web-site. Thank you!

 
At 10:08 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info on Neolia. Would you be able to post the ingredients list for the Neolia lotion? I can't find them anywhere on-line and they don't have them on the Neolia web-site. Thank you!

 
At 12:55 p.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Hi Anon, sorry for the lag in reply. I'm away from home right now, but when I get back, I'll check the bottle for an ingredients list. Check back in about 2 weeks! :)

 
At 8:08 a.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Okay, the ingredients list is up on the post! You may have to hit "Refresh" on your browser to see it.

 
At 4:10 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same problem with Costco not carrying the Neolia body wash any more. I absolutely love that product. I recently found out that Sam's Club (Costco's main rival) still carries it but in store only.

 
At 8:41 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does your Costco still carry Neolia? Costco - Kirkland,WA (USA) doesn't carry it anymore. :(

~Danielle

 
At 5:55 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

Neolia is available at www.neolia.com for US resident and will be available at www.boutiquecosmepro.com in less than a month. The two companies have merged. I heard that telephone orders are now accepted....

 
At 5:23 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.boutiqueneolia.com/buy.php
This stuff is amazing - I can't live without it! Enjoy!!

 
At 7:59 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi everybody!
I buy Neolia soap, body wash and lotion in Jewel Osco

 
At 2:28 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey it you love olive butters-please let us send you one that is made here in SA..www.theoliveworkshop.co.za has the most lushous olive butter with mafura-(natal mahogany butter) too luvly! regards Deedee.

 
At 5:16 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our Costco in Moncton, New Brunswick Canada had stopped carrying the Neolia olive oil body lotion which I had enjoyed. They sold the bar soap and body wash. But good news they brought the lotion back. Bought a bottle last month when I was in.

 
At 9:59 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can buy it at Albertson's Grocery Stores in Eugene, OR

 
At 7:44 p.m., Anonymous Kathleen said...

I called Neolia to ask them where I can buy their products, and they said they have stopped shipping it to any stores. The only place you can buy it is online, and you have to spend at least $25, plus their shipping charges are pretty high. However, it's pretty much the best body wash ever, so it might be worth it. If you sign up for their emails, they do sometimes have buy one get one free offers. The website is

www.boutiqueneolia.com

Cheers!

 
At 9:41 p.m., Blogger Unknown said...

Well, the official neolia website and better prices can be found at www.neolia.com and their new online store is about to go live at http://boutique.neolia.com

 
At 10:26 a.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Whoo, thanks for the tip guys! I just started using that darn Olive body butter again (got it on sale) and it rekindled my love for all things olive-y.

 
At 7:46 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ingredients in the Neolia Olive Oil Body Lotion such as: >>>Methylparaben, Propylparaen, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben,<<< as an preservatives are way to high, therefore this product is very high hazard to the health, since any kind and form of Paraben mimics estrogen in the body.

Regards,
Sara

 
At 7:28 p.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Hi Sarah, thanks for taking time to comment. I'm curious as to know how you can tell that the parabens in this lotion are "way too high"? They are the last ingredients listed, so out of all the other ingredients in the lotion, they are present in the smallest amounts.

Without knowing exactly the amounts of parabens in this product, I feel it is irresponsible to say that the lotion is "very high hazard to the health". Do you have any evidence that even trace amounts of parabens are carcinogenic?

I realize the jury is still out on whether parabens (in the form and amounts in which they exist in our cosmetics) are helpful or harmful. As of yet, I have not seen convincing evidence of any significantly carcinogenic or estrogenic properties of parabens.

Of course, these matters are a personal choice; for those who wish to stay away from parabens, it is absolutely their prerogative. It's at least a topic worthy of a bit of research, but I do feel your statements are somewhat exaggerated, unless you have some additional info/evidence to back it up.

 
At 1:17 p.m., Blogger Sel said...

What retail outlet carries Neolia Body lotion or Neolia products?

I live in Glen Ellyn, Illinois 60137--

 
At 10:17 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
You can find Neolia at www.neolia.com! All Neolia's products can be purchased thru their web site. I try the lotion and I felt in love with their new fragrance. Amazing scent!
The shampoo is fabulous also, the promo is 2 for 1...what a deal.

Néolia's lover

 
At 9:30 p.m., Blogger Unknown said...

umm neolia body wash is one of the best thing i have EVER tried im not kidding i hate lotion and body washes nothing work as good as neolia. my mom just got one 2 weeks ago at shopper and i seem it sitting there in the shower so I started using it and in 3 daysi was like OMG my skin my face has never looked and felt so nice in so long, GET It you will love it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home