Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Product Review: L'Oreal Infallible Foundation

This is probably one of the prettiest foundations I've ever bought. The contoured glass bottle, red pump, and clear cap make it look sleek... almost futuristic. What's scripted on the bottle though made me roll my eyes: L'Oreal Infallible Never Fail Makeup. Thank you, L'Oreal, for helpfully defining what "infallible" means. Those 4 syl-la-ble words sure can be tricky! Give your demographic a little credit, huh?





At any rate, on to the review. According to the L'Oreal website, Infallible promises to fight the "5 signs of make-up meltdown" for 16 hours by: combatting signs of fatigue, hiding blemishes, ending rub-off, stopping shine, and fighting the elements. So, I guess that makes the 5 signs of make-up meltdown: Sleepy, Pimply, Smudgy, Shiny, and ... er... Captain Planet???

I bought this foundation back in December, used it for about 3 days, and hadn't touched it again until I put it on for the purposes of this review. I remember really disliking this one. It's a medium-thick liquid, and feels a bit whipped coming out of the pump dispenser. (The pump dispenser, by the way, is genius -- easy to control, hygenic, and doesn't spew product everywhere.) Blending took more effort than the Wonder Finish, but I've come to realize that this is true of almost every other liquid foundation I've tried. It's not too difficult to blend this stuff onto your face. Nude Beige was the closest shade for me, but it seemed just a bit gray-ish. Not enough warm tones, I guess. Worse, it morphed into a shade that was teeny bit too dark as the day wore on. So minus one for unstable colour!

Infallible gives a smooth velvety medium coverage... for the first hour or two. After that, it all just fell to pieces. Shine starts coming through and the makeup seems to migrate to flaky or drier areas of your face, emphasising them. Coverage became spotty and cakey. Worse, it felt kind of... itchy. It totally felt like I had foundation on my face. Infallible hasn't broken me out incredibly or anything (possibly because I've never used it for very long), but it FELT like it was breaking me out. Yuck!

This is way too thick-looking and -feeling for summertime. Maybe I'd use this again if it was the dead of winter and I needed something with a lot of coverage, but this is certainly NOT a summer foundation.

So, considering that Infallible is marketed as something that stops makeup meltdown, it should get, like, NEGATIVE points for being so bad at preventing shine and migration. I can't imagine how horrible this might be for women with oilier skin than mine. As for longevity, I guess it's better than Wonder Finish, but not by much. As with any other foundation that lets a lot of shine through, the foundation comes off on the tissue when I blot. So watch dem white collars ladies (and the gents with whom you canoodle!). "Freshly made up for 16 hours"? You'd be lucky to make it past 6 hours!

The only good things about this foundation are the packaging and the medium (if temporary and somewhat masky) coverage, if you're into that kind of thing. Which I am currently not. Eeeuck. I really wanna go wash my face now. Tune in again tomorrow to see if Sally Hansen's Airbrush Makeup fares any better than the totally fallible Infallible!



Have you tried Infallible? What did you think of it? Is it possible for a full-coverage foundation to feel nice? What is your favourite medium-or-higher coverage foundation?



This review was part of Foundation Week!

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At 4:20 p.m., Blogger Cowgirl Warrior said...

Yeah, I've heard a few things about Infallible's failure.
In terms of Mid coverage I really like Christian Dior's version of Mac's Studio Tech. But it's ridiculously expensive.
Right now I use Bare Escentials (also ridiculously expensive but...), which doesn't technically cover lots but since I've been using it there's been less to cover. I think this stuff has actually improved my skin...craziness!

Canada's Next Top Model starts May 31 as CHUM likes to tell you 15 times a day...can't wait Mr. Jay is part of it!

 
At 4:59 p.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

I've yet to completely figure out mineral foundations... I've got this BE knock-off stuff sitting at home. I was using it for a while... I should probably re-visit now that I'm looking for a light-feeling coverage.

Studio Tech also made me itchy the one time I tried it. Although that could be because I'd just been attacked by the good people at Sephora with like 4 different foundations in 20 minutes. The things I subject myself to for these reviews! :P

I wonder if CNTM will have a new theme song??? I can't wait either!

 
At 5:39 p.m., Blogger Cowgirl Warrior said...

It's all in the swirl, tap and buff

The things you subject yourself to in the name of reviews is greatly appreciated :)

 
At 10:04 p.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Despite the name of this blog, spammers are not actually welcome here! DELORTED!

 
At 1:43 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Id really like to know what's in this stuff, as not long after trying it, I ended up with a head ache; runny nose; sore, red, runny eyes, and generally feeling like I'd had an allergic reaction. Initially, it looked pretty good....but .....16 hours....I *don't* think so.

And, not only that, I don't look like Milla Jovovitch, which of course I fully expected to. Only joking.

But I wish I'd saved my money. It doesn't do what it says on the tin.m

 
At 1:18 a.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Yikes! Even if it doesn't make you look like Mila, it shouldn't make you a flu-y, itchy version of yourself. Ick. According to Drugstore.com, here's the ingredients list:

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 1%, Titanium Dioxide 1.9%

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Glycerin, Nylon 12, Propylene Glycol, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphates, Phenoxyethanol, Magnesium Sulfate, Diphenyl Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Acrylates Copolymer, Acetylated Glycol Stearate, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Methylparaben, Magnesium Gluconate, Hydroxypropyl Guar, Tristearin, Butylparaben, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, May Contain: Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, FIL B10904/1

 
At 6:24 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

i use this product now!! i thought it was pretty actually!!! but my skin is not at all oily so that could have made a difference n i found my PREFECT shade right away! believe it or not the first one i picked up was perfect! i would reccomend it IF u dont have oily skin. its not the best foundation but its well worth the money!!

 
At 4:09 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually liked this foundation, and I'm a strict Bare Minerals kind of girl. I bought it out of desperation (I always seem to run out of makeup, the mineral veil, AND concealer all at the same time) because it was cheap (well, compared to what I normally buy it was a steal).
I found that if I use just one pump and rapidly pat it on my face, it stays on all day. I live in central Florida where the weather is just plain sticky, and it worked really well for me. But, to each his own. This is thirteen bucks, lasts all day, and I don't have to touch it up at all - I'll use it.




For a few months, anyway. I usually switch by then. :)

 
At 9:04 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

This product has recently changed forms and I HATE it! When the line was first introduced I loved the coverage and color. Initially, I noticed where it could highlight oily areas. The new formula places a GIANT spotlight on these areas and the foundation comes off completely.

I am not one to complain directly to a company but, I did in this case. The 18 hour formula is terrible and I will not buy this product until the formula changes.

If you are thinking of buying this new formula....in one word...DON'T!

 
At 2:16 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am gonna try this one! I just need to find my shade ,, I always run out of everything at the same time :p My consealer, foundation, cleansers ...
But I heard good things about this foundation

 
At 10:03 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always used liquid foundations because I find that powders wear me out and dont give me enough coverage.
I dont have acne so it's not like I need to use a thick make up but I often get red spots and liquids really work. I recently started to use infallible foundation and I absolutely love it. I think it's a great product and for me it really does stay on as long as it says.

 
At 7:12 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me I think this is a pretty good foundation since I have pretty sensitive/combination. My skin both excessively dry & flaky around my nose & chin yet excessively oily and pimple prone around my forehead. Currently I have around 16 large, BRIGHT RED pimples on my forehead.

I wore this foundation out last night for the 2nd time and I have never worn foundation that is so affordable and that offers such an amazing coverage if you apply it in small amounts and only where you need it, it doesn't look THAT cakey in my opinion. My also pimples weren't even noticeable and my complexion looked basically flawless. I find it's very drying but if you wear a primer then it should be fine.

I found this foundation was MUCH better than Mac's studio fix & any napoleon perdis foundation I've tried. Does not beat bare minerals foundation but offers a better coverage and it doesn't look cakey if you have the right shade - it's SO hard for me to find foundations in australia light enough (I purchases the lightest shade they had to offer).

It also lasted a while - a good 8 hrs at the MINIMUM which is much better than any others I've tried which all usually last around 2-3 hrs before they begin to show the redness from pimples. Pretty happy with this considering other foundations I have purchased which cost twice the amount of this.

 
At 8:32 p.m., Blogger Mayhemm said...

I'm writing this 6 almost 7 years later, I came across your profile while searching things about Marca college. My never fail super incredible foundation in Clinique. It's light and liquid-y but not runny. It gives incredible coverage and stays all day. It even turns to almost a powder finish after a few minutes. You can brush on some power after to make sure it's all good I use a foundation/blush powder from Clinique also. The liquid foundation is about 22CAD but you don't have to use much so it lasts a while is totally worth the money. The powder foundation/blush is about 15CAD and that stuff lasts forever! Haha. But, after 6 years maybe you found something perfect for you! :)

Cheers, Amanda

 
At 5:10 a.m., Blogger Jarediah said...

I'm writing my Comment About 6 Years after Mayhemm's Comment, so About 12 Years after the OP lol. In the Future, Foundation has gotten a little Better, Especially Drugstore! It's funny you said that the L'oreal Infallible Foundation made you Itchy, because that's how the 'future' (lol) Loreal Infallible 'Pro Matte' Foundation makes me feel, and I Have tried, Jeez like 50+ Foundations, and have NEVER had one do that to me! VERY Strange! 🤔

 

Post a Comment

<< Home