Monday, May 08, 2006

Product Review: Body Shop Cassis Rose EDT

I was at the mall yesterday, and saw all these lovely shiny posters at the Body Shop advertising a new fragrance, so of COURSE I had to stop in. For those of you who don't know (um, so almost all of you... unless you've been secretly stalking me for 4 years and now I've just made your job that much easier by having a blog), I used to work at the Body Shop. Though I have my issues with the store, I don't want to get all rant-y about it. It was all political anyway -- it had nothing to do with the products. Besides, it was a particular franchisee that was the problem, and I'm in Toronto now, and besides besides, The Body Shop got bought by L'Oreal anyway, so it REALLY doesn't matter anymore.

Whew! Where was I? Oh yeah, Body Shop perfumes. I've had a kind of love/hate relationship with them. There are certain ones I cannot stand (like Tobacco Flower or Indian Gardenia), and some that I like quite a bit (like Spirit of Moonflower or Of A Man). I bought and became briefly enamoured with their Invent A Scent kit, where you get 9 cute, chemistry-kit looking vials of perfume, and the idea is to mix and match the different scents to create your own fragrance. Some of the scents were likeable enough, but overall, they were fairly simplistic and kind of boring. I still have that kit, but I think I like the idea of it more than the actual fragrances.

But ladies and gents, I have a new favourite! Cassis Rose (billed as "The Flirtatous Fragrance" -- how long did it take those ad exec geniuses to come up with that gem, I wonder?) was launched just in time for Mother's Day, and I KNEW I was going to buy it the instant I sniffed it.




Their website describes the notes as follows:
Top: Raspberry and Blackcurrent
Heart: Rose, Freesia, and Violet
Base: Musk, Sandalwood, and Cedarwood
That sounds about right. The first whiff is of fruity sweetness, and I get a prominent tinge of something green and acidic, like tart fruit (not citrusy though), or perhaps cut-flower-stem. That goes away in a flash, and then you're just left with berries and flowers. On me, this is a warm-ish scent, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as sultry or sexy. The rose, while not ground-breaking, is fresh rather than musty or powdery. It's just a nice sweet floral that would be safe for the office or an afternoon out.

Yeah, I know... I bought yet another fruity floral. The bottle is even predictably pink. At least it's not a watery ozonic fruity floral this time, right? Plus, it's not even from the house of Parlux! Come on people, I'm trying to improve! Honest!

Anyway, I really really really like this. It's not going to be my all-time-favourite perfume or anything, but I can see myself reaching for this all summer. Lasting power is poor, as is typical of all TBS scents that I like. I'd say about 2 hours, and that's probably being generous. But at $17 CAD for 30mL of the EDT, it's not really a huge deal to re-apply. They launched an entire line of this, including lotion, shower gel, perfume oil, body mist, and solid soap, so layering is definitely an option. The lotion and shower gel bottles are actually quite pretty, so I think these would make a lovely Mum's Day gift, assuming your mom is into sweet, pretty smells.

Mmmm... this stuff makes me want to, like, eat my wrists. For real. Very happy with the purchase!

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 5:59 p.m., Blogger Cowgirl Warrior said...

It kind of reminded me of Estee Lauder's Pleasures..I think I'll purchase... it's cute for summer. I agree on the fact that most of their EDTs don't last long, unless your body chemistry is completely compatible.

I find it hysterically funny that L'Oreal bought them perhaps they'll now turf all the franchisees...we can hope ;)

 
At 11:57 a.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Hey, that would explain why I like it. I LOVE Pleasures... on other people. On me, it gets all stingy and weird. Probably the patchouli. Patch & I don't get along.

The lasting power thing might just my neuroticism. The TBS smells I *don't* like last forever on me, so it's possible that my nose just adjusts to the stuff I do like too quickly.

 
At 5:09 a.m., Blogger gabriella said...

I love the Cassis Rose smell too but it lasts only for about 2 hours or so. Have you tried the White Musk? I have heard rave reviews about it but the smell does not last on me at all.
I am searching for a perfume that lasts a long time
Does EL Pleasures last a while?

 
At 10:21 p.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Hey Gabriella! Yes, Cassis Rose definitely is a fleeting scent. Pleasures (on me) lasted longer, but I wouldn't call it super long lasting (maybe about 4 hours?). I don't really find the 2 *that* similar, but that could just be me.

I have tried White Musk, but I don't love it. It's light, so I'm not surprised it doesn't last that long.

If you're into rose perfumes, Jo Malone's Red Roses lasts all day and then some on me, but it's straight-ahead rose... no cassis scent. But there's also a Cassis fragrance in the line, so you might be able to layer? They are pricey perfumes, but if you don't have to reapply, the cost might even out.

Bond No 9's Scent of Peace is a beeeeautiful blackcurrant scent. It doesn't last as long as I would like (which would be, forever) but it certainly stays longer than Cassis Rose. Again though, super pricey.

The longest lasting cassis scent I've tried is actually not a perfume at all. It's Red Currant room spray, by Votivo. A really sweet scent currant scent... might be nice layered with a rose perfume. If you have sensitive skin, I'd be careful, since it's not really meant for your skin, but it stays for a long time. You could also try spraying it on non-delicate clothes if you don't want it on your skin.

 
At 12:17 p.m., Anonymous Azura said...

I won a tiny 10ml bottle at a school fete, and I love the scent- it is so me, and is perfect for all seasons. It layers well, and I love to wear floral fragrances- lily of the valley, orchid or lavender may seem old and frumpy, but are in fact fresh and fantastic to wear on a summers outing. Chassis Rose will definatly go in my Everyday Fragrance Collection!

 
At 10:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

where i can find this parfume? i wanna but it but i dont find it...can u halp me?

write me on this mail: giovydl@yahoo.it

thank u so much :)))

 
At 1:13 a.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Hi there, this is a Body Shop product, I found it in their stores. A quick scan at the Italian Body Shop site shows the image of the Cassis Rose perfume, but it's not listed as in stock. It may have been discontinued. :( Try eBay, maybe?

 
At 12:35 p.m., Anonymous maria said...

yeah i think the body shop stop producing the cassis rose which i really love and keep on looking for this perfume in all body shop here in japan and one staff said to me that the body shop stop producing cassis rose and instead change for some kind of moroccan rose which i bought and tried..but sadly not like the essense and the sweeetness of cassis rose..is anyone here know about the status of my fav cassis rose?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home