Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Product Review: ... Drixoral?

Hiya guys and gals. Today's review is a bit of an odd one. It's about DRUGS. Well, cold medication, at least. It may be somewhat illicit or illegal or what have you for a self-professed mostly-beauty blog to review a drug, but what the hey. Now I can say that I wrote an illicit drug review and feel all badass. (Most, if not all, truly hardcore people write reviews on blogs. Snoop Dogg does it. What, you didn't know?)

ANYway, what with us all being right smack dab in the middle of cold-and-flu season, this is a timely review. Because I gave my nice boyfriend my cold while he was taking care of my sick ass over the weekend. And because the best concealer in the world can't cover up runny noses and hacking coughs. But Drixoral can!




I've got Roommie to thank for this one. She gave me one of these to take last year when I got hit with a bad cold, and I haven't looked back since. One of these babies will clear up stuffy noses & sinuses, and calm sneezing and coughs. For 12 hours! Which means you no longer have to carry bottles of meds around with you wherever you go!

There's not much more review-y things to say. These work, and they work for a long time. They're on the pricey side... ~$13 CAD for 20 pills. But you shouldn't have to finish a pack of these in one run, since you'll only have to take 2 a day, max.

Now on to the important disclaimers. The magic ingredients in these are Pseudoephedrine (a decongestant), and Dexbrompheniramine (an antihistamine). Now, I AM NOT A DOCTOR! YOU SHOULD TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TAKING ANY NEW DRUG! And if you have hypertension, or are taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (or "MAOIs", which are in certain types of antidepressants amongst other things), you definitely need to talk to your doctor before taking anything with the word "ephedrine" in it, pseudo- or otherwise. If you are pregnant, or taking other prescription drugs, or have chronic conditions, or acute conditions, or think you might be chronically or acutely pregnant, or... hell, just talk to your doctor.

But assuming you're ok to take this medication, it'll get you in working order in no time! So if you're terribly unethical like me, you can use your "pre-Drixoral voice" to call in to work in the morning, take one of these, and feel much much better on your "sick day" than anyone could imagine!


PS: There are conflicting names for this product. The box I have is silver with a green bar ("New Look!"), and says "Drixoral Cold & Sinus". In the States, it looks like you guys have "Cold & Flu" version pictured, as well as a green and white box ("Drixoral Allgery/Sinus"). I think they all have the same 2 key ingredients.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 3:56 p.m., Blogger Kat said...

I swear by this stuff!! Although as my fiance can attest, do not, I repeat DO NOT take more than 1 in a twelve hour span. He took two one day in the morning and he was down for the count for quite some time. Silly boy didn't read the directions on the package. But I have been taking this stuff for probably 7-8 years now. It works AWESOME! Although I had a particularly horrific sinus infection a few months back and sadly drixoral didn't help at all with that, not that I expected it to, but I was hopefull.
PS - 9 months till my wedding, hehehehe, I'm a little over excited

 
At 3:51 p.m., Blogger The Glitterati said...

Kat: Whoooeeee, 9 months! That's crazy!! Is your head swimming with bridal visions right now?

That's hilarious about the Drixoral! I have this image of your fiance stumbling around the house, all doped up and confused. Glad to hear the stuff has withstood the test of time though!

 
At 1:22 p.m., Blogger Stinky McFrazzlepants said...

This was nectar of the gods in pill form... Unfortunately, it seems It's not available anymore anywhere So sad. So stupid. So mad. This was the best stuff ever!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home